2020. March 17.
With regard to the national emergency declared on 11 March 2020, the University of Szeged is switching to extraordinary online education from 23 March 2020 after the early spring break until further notice.
We ask university students to continue to act responsibly during this period:
- avoid travelling abroad,
- avoid accepting visitors from abroad,
- stay at home if possible,
- avoid attending group and community events.
The primary and official scene of the extraordinary online education is CooSpace, please, gather information from there:
- every course has a CooSpace scene
- the scenes of CooSpace connect the students and the teachers of the given course
- entrance to CooSpace is via Neptun or former ETR login
Brief summary of the information about the extraordinary online education:
Tasks of students:
- Log in to CooSpace and check
- if the email address given is appropriate,
- that notifications are not disabled,
- if there are new course requirements in the scene of the given course under the scene info menu
- Familiarise themselves with the types of online materials:
It is advisable to learn about online courses during the spring break. We suggest using the course entitled Learning How to Learn on coursera.org, which is a site with plenty of learning tips.
Those unfamiliar with CooSpace, click here!
- Follow the comments of teachers on:
- learning materials,
- Check library database: here.
- Keep contact with the teacher and other students.
- Use the channels of online administration – further information may be asked from the organizational units, such as the Registrar’s Office.
- Meet deadlines, manage time and complete the semester successfully.
- Help each other with sharing information and good practices.
What can be expected from the teachers?
- They will update the requirements of the semester in the CooSpace course scene of the given course under the scene info menu.
- They can be contacted online at the time of the course – this will be the ideal time to find them.
- They will update the learning materials weekly in CooSpace scenes.
- They will distribute online tasks.
- The components of the online course may be the following:
The components of the learning material:
- keeping contact
- tasks, peer review
- final test
- video lessons or online lesson
Keeping contact with the university:
From 12 March 2020 until further notice students are prohibited from entering higher education institutions.
The following activities will take place online:
- teaching – its official scene is CooSpace,
- official administration – through the contacts of the Registrar’s Offices, in Modulo, CooSpace and Neptun,
- providing information and keeping contact – information is constantly updated on the Student Info scene of CooSpace.
Detailed information about the extraordinary online teaching
As regards the prevention of the spread of the new coronavirus infection, in accordance with Government Decree No. 41/2020. (III. 11.) (hereinafter Decree) on measures to be taken in a state of emergency to prevent the spread of an epidemic, to avoid its consequences and to protect the safety of life and property among Hungarian citizens as of the issuance of the present circular pending further official action the University is switching to extraordinary online teaching, about which the following information is given.
In accordance with the above Decree and to prevent the spread of the coronavirus infection subject to the decision of the maintainer the present document summarizes the obligations and requests which are obligatory to and shall be taken into account by all students of the University of Szeged because of the spread of the new coronavirus and its appearance in Hungary.
We especially draw the attention of all students of the University of Szeged to the fact that with regard to the extraordinary situation and to prevent the spread of the coronavirus infection, they shall act responsibly during the spring break and the distance education. They shall avoid travelling abroad, avoid accepting visitors from abroad, stay at home if possible, and avoid attending group and community events. We draw the attention of our international and foreign students to the fact that if they have left the territory of Hungary, they shall remain in their place of residence until further notice.
I. Measures concerning the 2nd semester of the academic year 2019/2020
With regard to the prior circulars issued by the Operative Committee on Corona Virus:
- The Rector of the University of Szeged has ordered for 12 and 13 March 2020 Rector’s educational break.
- The Rector has rescheduled the previously adopted spring break period from 10 April 2020 (Friday) – 17 April 2020 (Friday) to 14 March 2020 (Saturday) – 22 March 2020 (Sunday) in his declaration IKT/5-790/4/2020. Otherwise, the order of the university year remains unchanged.
- University students are required to stay away from the University buildings from 12 March 2020. With regard to this, we provide electronic contact and administration in all student administration.
- From 23 March 2020 until further notice all training areas of the University of Szeged shall switch to extraordinary online education. It means that the University of Szeged will provide the learning material and the successful completion of the requirements of the semester online, without the support of visiting the University buildings. Students are not allowed to visit the buildings of the University of Szeged during the distance education period; they can access the curriculum through the CooSpace system.
- All students are required to actively take part in distance education and other related distance activities (e. g. exam, report, consultation) starting from 23 March 2020.
- We will provide information on the schedule of events later, e.g. on attendance reports, practices, final tests, defences of theses, midterm exams planned at the beginning of the semester, taking into consideration the specialties of the Faculties and the interests of students.
II. Information on the extraordinary online teaching
- Consider that the primary and official scene of keeping contact with the teachers in the distance education period is CooSpace, which is available to all university students.
- every course has a CooSpace scene,
- the scenes of CooSpace connect the students and the teachers of the given course,
- entrance to CooSpace is via Neptun or former ETR login,
- teachers will provide detailed information about the completion of the courses here.
- The University of Szeged draws the attention of all university students to follow the faculty, institutional, teachers’ and course information regarding the electronic learning materials and requirements and make sure to be able to take the electronic materials and other services from 23 March 2020 with the technical requirements needed (they should check, for example, if the email address in CooSpace is appropriate or whether they receive notifications about new posts).
- Please follow all CooSpace scenes of your courses since the teacher of the given course will provide information to you about the updated requirements and the methods of contact other than CooSpace here.
Information about the proxy service of the Klebelsberg Library is available.
- In view of the above, personal administration at the Registrar’s Offices will be unavailable, therefore time-bound language examination certificates and other documents may not be presented personally. With regards to the extraordinary situation, the scheduled documents to be submitted need to be scanned and emailed / uploaded in Modulo - without the department / institute seal. It is not possible to submit the thesis in person either, in this case the PDF document needs to be uploaded in Modulo.
Issued on 16 March 2020, in Szeged
Sgd. Prof. Dr. Klára Gellén
Vice-Rector of Education
Chair of Operative Committee on Distance Education